Thursday, July 5, 2012

Ada's Birthday Celebration

Ada turned 1 this past Friday two weeks ago (it's been busy here!) and grandparents Gautreaux were in attendance.
I'm afraid all of you looking for smashed cake pictures will be disappointed. Ada is a pretty tidy eater and also she didn't like the cupcake that much. She is a bit messy with pudding...



Side Bar: The cupcake story
I had bought a box mix to make Ada her birthday cupcakes. The evening before her birthday, I set about making them. I had left the butter out overnight so it would be properly soft, I had cute cupcake papers, and I was ready! I followed the directions perfectly. And yet, when we pulled the cupcakes out of the oven, they hadn't properly poofed. They were flat. I'd had a similar problem with a butter-based box mix before, but I had assumed it was because of operator error. Now I know, still likely operator error, but time to just give up.

So then it was decided to attempt making cupcakes from scratch, since it was now 5:30 p.m. and the good bakery in town was closed for the night. I had the stuff! flour, butter, eggs, vanilla, sugar ... except that upon peeking into the sugar box, it became quickly evident that the ants had taken it over. Ant-y sugar is not going to cut it for First Birthday Cupcakes. Jeffrey's mom, Shirley, headed out to the convenience store around the block. They had flour, but no sugar. Fortunately, Big Lots across the way had some so she didn't have to hike up to the Walmart.

In the end, the cupcakes turned out fine. Ada didn't really like them and honestly, they weren't the best, but they foofed up appropriately and didn't contain ants. That's all we ask for it this house.

Here's a picture of the failcakes and the ant-y sugar in the trash.

Back the main story ...

We started out the day by going to the doctor. We were allowed a special birthday dispensation to put off her shots until the next week. Ada walked herself down the corridors, past the nurses station, and into the exam room. The nurses were quite impressed.

She weighed a million pounds, is tall, and her head is normal shaped ... maybe a little on the larger size. The real stats are over here.

Our friends, the Dieners, invited us to a picnic on the square that night and so we commandeered it for Ada's birthday. We also invited Missy and Penelope. Then some random children invited themselves over. It was pretty fun! Ada wasn't super excited about the birthday aspect, but we knew that was going to be the case. She loved the attention and the music on the square, so it was a great first birthday overall!
 
Lily having had enough of the festivities already.

On the square

Dancing to the band


What is this thing on my cupcake?

The band ... they weren't that good.

Ada and some kid

Whaddya want? It's my birthday!




1 comment:

  1. Her chocolate lipstick is fantastic! Happy Birthday Ada!

    P.S. I've never seen boxed cake mix that called for butter, only oil. I suspect you are right that that was the issue. But I am still amused that you ruined a box mix :-)

    ReplyDelete