Monday, January 12, 2009

Cool weather=crazy horses

Lately, I've been a better rider. 

I don't know if it is because ballet has made my legs stronger, I'm more confident, or maybe it is because Kendall at the Barn told me to "get on that horse, smack it with the crop, and don't take any shit" which has proved to be a magic tip. 

Either or all, I've been a much better rider lately. Which is a damn good thing because the horses have gone wild.

The weather here has been chilly at night and glorious during the day and the horses have been feeling mighty feisty lately. Ted, a 22-year-old thoroughbred (which is elderly for a horse), has been downright ornery. You get on him, if he holds still long enough for mounting, and he takes off down the rail barely walking and has the "hops." Even Martin, my trusty buddy who normally just bucks when he wants you to be aware of something (kind of like pointing at something, except that they have hooves and it's hard to point with a hoove unless you are Bullwinkle), has been a bit hard to keep all feet on the ground because he's just gone nutty.

It ends up requiring a lot more leg strength as you pinch your knees into the saddle, and a lot more humor. It's sort of hilarious having these older horses yip around the ring, but only if you are ready for it and are prepared to ride through. And keep your hands still, and don't use your legs, and don't pull back, and 100 other things you are supposed to do when your horse is out of control and you are on top trying to maintain composure.

We've had a nice selection of ice cream to choose from (riders bring ice cream when they fall off as penance) fortunately none of it is has yet to be provided by me!

What's my point? I don't have one. My legs are sore though, from trying to stay on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment